History of Suffolk - Clopton 1865

Post Office Directory of 1865.

CLOPTON is a village and parish, on a small brook close to Burgh, 5 miles north-west from Woodbridge, and 7 north-east from Ipswich, in Carlford hundred and rural deanery, Woodbridge union and county court district, archdeaconry of Suffolk, and diocese of Norwich, East Suffolk. The church of St. Mary is a neat old building. The living is a rectory, the tithes commuted for £698 19s. 10d. per annum, with residence, in the gift of Mrs. Elizabeth Taylor, and held by the Rev. George William Taylor, B.A., of Queen's College, Cambridge. The town estate consists of four tenements and 16 acres of land, let for £32 per annum, applied for the repairs of the church and to relief of the poor, together with the "bell pightle," 2a. Or. 38p., let for £2 5s., and left for the repairs of the church hells. Here are sand pits, and large quantities of fossil remains are found in them. The landowners are the trustees of the Thellusson estate, Mr. R. Steel, Mr. W. Steel, Mr. W. Catt, and other small owners and customary tenants. The area is 2,074acres; the population in 1861 was 407.
Parish Clerk, William Benningfleld.
Letters through Woodbridge, which is also the nearest money order office
Church School, Miss Eliza Baxter, mistress
Catt Mrs, Clopton hall
Taylor Rev George Wm, B.A, Rectory

Barker James, farmer
Boon Jonathan, farmer
Burch Joseph, farmer
Burch William, farmer
Catt John, farmer
Chapman Lionel, farmer
Crapnell James, shoe maker
Crapnell William, blacksmith
Cutting Philip, grocer & draper
Dowsing George, wheelwright
Keeble Francis, farmer
King John, farmer
Pipe James, wheelwright
Pipe Mary (Mrs.), beer retailer
Schofield James, farmer
Steel Richard, farmer & landowner
Steel William, farmer & landowner, Mount Pleasant
Todd Thomas, farmer
Tye David, farmer